June 11, 2017
Root of Evil
The Bible is a rich and complex resource that offers us our clearest window into God’s heart and His will for our lives. Unfortunately, it’s also ripe for misunderstanding, misinterpretation, abuse and misuse because we often take verses out of context and use them in ways they were never intended to be used. What if we’re missing what God is really trying to tell us? What if some of these passages are even more profound and personal than we ever imagined? Maybe we need to think again…
Questions for discussion:
· What do you think was the main point of Matt’s message?
· Read 1 Timothy 6:9-11: What do you think Paul was trying to teach Timothy/us in this passage?
· How would you summarize God’s consistent message concerning money and wealth?
· Our goal is for our personal beliefs to be in alignment with the values and faith of the Bible. How might your perspective on wealth need to change in order to bring beliefs into alignment with Scripture?
· What have you learned from this message that you can apply to your everyday life?
Do something about it:
Remember, this message isn’t just about money; it is more about using the resources God has given us (time, talents, gifts, witness) to be “generous” to others. Identify someone in your sphere of influence who God is calling you to share some form of “generosity” with so that they can experience the love of Christ in a tangible way. Once identified, use your resources to bless them.
1 Timothy 6:9-11, 17-19; Matthew 6:19-24; Ecclesiastes 5:10,18,19; Mark 10:17-22; Acts 20:35; Proverbs 11:25; 22:9;